At last week’s Bovey City Council meeting, councilors heard from Jean Cyronek who requested a fireworks permit for this year’s Bovey Farmer’s Day. Cyronek said a pancake fundraiser is scheduled for March 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Bovey City Hall. A list of 20-plus events was compiled which included a softball tournament and a street dance.
Businessman Derek Vekich requested that the council apply to the IRRRB for an infrastructure grant as he plans to expand his business. Vekich also suggested ideas in order to utilize the existing fire hall, which will be vacated. Councilors passed a resolution to apply for the grant.
Mike Foss gave a report from the Western Mesabi Mine Planning Board meeting and asked councilors to send a letter of support to the legislators on several projects. Some of those projects included the Highway 169 improvement and additional funding for the Hill Annex Mine State Park. Foss also mentioned the captive rail project where shippers in Itasca County want to establish a rail spur to Taconite thus creating a gateway to the Canadian National rail system. Councilors voted to send a letter of support.
A representative from the Grow Bovey coalition requested help from the council to place signage at the entrances to Bovey. The members of Grow Bovey believe signs on the Highway 169 bypass could divert motorists into the business district thus stimulating commerce.
Loren Solberg spoke to the council asking for support for the Enbridge pipeline project.
In other business, the council:
• Passed ordinance number 2-17-16 which gives Minnesota Power a nonexclusive franchise to operate in the City of Bovey.
• Agreed to trade the 30-year-old loader on a new loader with a cost of $176,000.
• Voted to pass a resolution to transfer funds from the general fund to the 2014 water infrastructure project.
• Voted to approve the issuance of general obligation refunding bonds.
• Passed a motion to raise the pay of part-time workers from $9 to $11.
• Authorized a $355 expenditure to send Police Chief Bill Hollom to a conference.