At last week’s Coleraine City Council meeting, Mayor Pro Tempore Peggy Smith presided in the absence of Mayor Jim Hagen. Council members voted to pass a resolution in support of SF 2723. The proposed legislation would provide funding for Mt. Itasca and seven other ski hills in Minnesota. If passed, the legislation would appropriate $6 million in fiscal year 2017 from the general fund to the Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission. The MASC’s Snow Angel Program would in turn designate grants to the individual ski hills.
Coleraine City Clerk Sandra Bluntach released documents to verify the fact that Hammerlund Construction was awarded the bid for the new emergency services building for $839,899. After an emergency meeting of the fire board and the Coleraine City Council on March 16, council members voted unanimously to approve the recommendation of the Trout Lake Fire Board to use Hammerlund Construction. The emergency services building will eventually house the combined Coleraine and Bovey fire departments as well as the Bovey/Coleraine police department.
News from the library board included the receipt of a Blandin Foundation grant for the purpose of refurbishing the front doors of the Carnegie Library. The library board plans to rebuild the doors at the main entrance using the original hardware and fittings, but also to be more energy efficient.
Coleraine Zoning Officer Duane Ranger expressed his thanks to the volunteers who helped with the breakfast fundraiser for Bovey Farmer’s Day.
In other business, the council:
• Passed the consent agenda and approved the meeting agenda.
• Authorized Deputy Clerk Mary Roy to advance her formal training in public administration.
• Voted to approve the cost of five secure e-mail accounts for the Police Department at a cost of $360.
• Authorized Sterle and Company to file the annual audit.
• Voted to raise the city employee meal stipend to $54 per day.
• Approved May 23, 2016 as cleanup day.
• Gave permission for the Kiwanis to clean the park.
• Voted to erect two stop signs at the Hartley / Congdon intersection on a trial basis.