The city of Bovey set the date for a public hearing to amend an outdated city ordinance that once established pay for the city’s elected officials.
The old ordinance, adopted in 1986, set the pay for the mayor at $130 per month and city councilors at $90 per month. The pay scale has since changed to its current level of $165/month for the mayor and $125/month for councilors. The 1986 ordinance, however, was never amended to reflect the change in pay scale.
The council will conduct a public hearing at 6 p.m. on Jan. 22 to discuss amending the 1986 ordinance.
The council also handled a number of reorganizational business items at its meeting last week. Business items decided by the council included:
• Set the council meeting dates for 2014 as the first and third Monday of each month at 6 p.m.
• Made appointments to various committees and boards.
• Designated Bob Stein as Mayor pro tem; Patrick Perry as clerk/treasurer pro tem and Kevin Odden as street inspector/zoning officer.
• Designated John Dimich as the city’s attorney.
• Designated JPJ Engineering Inc. as the city’s engineering firm.
• Designated the First National Bank of Coleraine as the city’s depository.
• Designated the Scenic Range NewsForum as the city’s official newspaper.
• Appointed Dick Foss as the civil defense coordinator.
• Set the mileage reimbursement rate for 2014 at 56 cents per mile, consistent with the federal mileage reimbursement rate.