At a short meeting of the Itasca County Board of Commissioners, officials handled a number of routine items of business last week.
Among the actions taken, commissioners:
• Canceled a public hearing regarding property tax abatement for Navasota Energy Generation. Board Chair Rusty Eichorn noted that commissioners were unsure how the matter would “play out” and were canceling for the time being due to the high cost of conducting public hearings.
• Awarded the 2016 tree planting contract to Superior Forestry Services in the amount of $20,328.20 to be paid from the Forest Resources Fund 12.
• Awarded the 2018 containerized seedlings contract to North Central Reforestation Inc. in the amount of $74,900 to be paid from Forest Resources Fund 12.
• Awarded 2016 site preparation contract to Future Forest Inc. in the amount of $60,340 to be paid from Forest Resources Fund 12.
• Scheduled a five-year highway plan construction meeting for 3 p.m. (or immediately following the regular county board meeting) on March 8.
• Approved the hire of a highway maintenance worker, contingent on successful completion of background checks and pre-employment screening.
• Approved commissioner warrants in the amount of $889,713.51.
• Discussed public health concerns arising from radon and the Zika virus.