The candidate filing period for a number of federal, state and county elected offices closed last Tuesday and two of the three county commissioners will be running unopposed. A large field of candidates will be on the ballot vying for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Sen. Al Franken – DFL, and two state representatives, from District 5A and District 6A, who are running in this area also face competition.
The period for filing for municipal offices and school district offices that do not hold primaries will be from Tuesday, July 29, to Tuesday, Aug. 12. Minnesota primary elections are scheduled to take place on Tuesday, Aug. 12, while the general election is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 4.
Following is a list of those who filed for elected office (*incumbent):
• Commissioner District 1 – Davin Tinquist*
• Commissioner District 3 – Dennis Barsness; Leo Trunt*
• Commissioner District 5 – Mark Mandich*
• County Auditor/Treasurer – Doug Carpenter; Matthew Fultz; Jeffrey Walker*
• County Sheriff – Bryan Johnson; Victor Williams*
• County Attorney – John Dimich; John J. Muhar*; Ellen Thoelen
• Soil and Water District 4 – Donald Simons*
• Soil and Water District 5 – Nobody filed
• United States Senator (six year term) – Heather Johnson – Lib.; Tom Books –I; Steve Carlson - I; Jack Shepard – I; Kevin Terrell – I; Stephen Williams – I; Jim Abeler – R; David Carlson – R; Mike McFadden – R; Patrick Munro – R; O. Savior – R; Al Franken* - DFL; Sandra Henningsgard - DFL
• United States Representative District 8 (two year term): Rick Nolan* - DFL; Stewart Mills – R; Ray Skip Sandman – Green
• State Representative District 5A – Phillip Nelson – R; Laverne Pederson – DFL; John Persell* – DFL
• State Representative District 5B – Justin Eichorn – R; Tom Anzelc* - DFL
• State Representative District 6A – Roger Weber – R; John C. Finken – DFL; Carly Melin* - DFL
• Governor/Lt. Governor – Chris Holbrook and Chris Dock – Lib; Chris Wright and David Daniels – Grassroots; Hannah Nicollet and Tim Gieske – I; Merril Anderson and Mark Anderson – R; Scott Honour and Karin Housley – R; Jeff Johnson and Bill Kuisle – R; Marty Seifert and Pam Myhra – R; Kurt Zellers and Dean Simpson – R; Bill Dahn and James Vigliotti – DFL; Leslie Davis and Gregory Soderberg – DFL; Mark Dayton* and Tina Smith – DFL.
• Secretary of State – Bobb Odden – Lib; Bob Helland – I; David Singleton – I; Dan Severson – R; Dick Franson – DFL; Gregg A. Iverson – DFL; Steve Simon – DFL
• State Auditor – Keegan Iverson – Lib; Judith Schwartzbacker – Grassroots; Patrick Dean – I; Randy Gilbert – R; Matt Entenza – DFL; Rebecca Otto* - DFL
• Attorney General – Andy Dawkins – Green; Mary O’Connor – Lib; Dan R. Vacek – Legal Marijuana Now; Brandan Borgos – I; Sharon Anderson – R; Scott Newman – R; Lori Swanson* - DFL
• Judge – Ninth District Court 12 (six year term) – Lois Lang*