By Kathy Lynn, KOZY Radio
Vandyke Elementary students are leading the way in Greenway school attendance. Kim Geislinger, truancy prevention program director, and Wendy Rau, Greenway human services officer, briefed the school board of Independent School District 316 on attendance rates at last week’s meeting.
Rau told the board that Vandyke students have a 98.38 percent attendance record for the first semester of 2016. Students in grades five through eight attended school at a 95.58 percent rate and high school students at 96.13 percent.
Ross Resources oversees the Itasca County Truancy Prevention Program. The program is a collaboratively funded effort of the Itasca County Family Services Collaborative, including ISDs 316, 317, 318, and 319 - as well as local health and mental health services.
Parents were reminded to schedule medical appointments outside of school hours, schedule vacation time around the school calendar and make sure students get enough sleep and exercise to be able to learn when they’re at school.
In the 2014-15 school year, almost 3,000 students took part in some type of community education program. Melanie DeBay, Community Education Director, briefed the board on participation numbers for Greenway students. Over 1,200 high school students participated in some form of activity during the last school year. Almost 1,000 middle school students tried a class or activity and 500 kindergarten through grade five participated in an activity.
In other business, the board:
• Accepted the retirement of Kathy Miller, Elementary Teacher, effective June 6, 2016 after 22 years of teaching.
• Accepted the retirement of Laura Groom, Special Education Teacher, effective June 6, 2016 after 15 years of teaching.
• Accepted the retirement of Carolyn Eck, Special Education Teacher, effective June 6, 2016 after 21 years of teaching
• Recognized a donation from the Blandin Foundation for $500 to aid in supporting the 2016 Greenway High School Post Prom event.
• Recognized donations from Lakes Area Credit Union, $50; Hook & Ladder Club, $100; Bethel Trinity WELCA, $200; Bethel Trinity Lutheran Church, $200; Greenway Lions Club, $500; Greenway Alumni Association, $250 for the purpose of Greenway Jam Day; city of Bovey, $100; Greenway Alumni Association, $250 to the Class of 2017.
• Approved the 2016-17 school year calendar.