By Kathy Lynn, KOZY Radio
Students and adults will be paying ten cents more for lunch and breakfast next school year. The school board of Independent School District 316 voted to approve the increase during the June 28 school board meeting. Meal prices for the 2016-17 school year will be as follows:
• Elementary Breakfast $1.75
• Elementary Lunch $2.15
• Secondary Breakfast $1.85
• Secondary Lunch $2.40
• Adult Breakfast $2.45
• Adult Lunch $3.75
The district is required to do a pay equity study each year. The reason, according to Business Manager Randi Jurgansen, is to verify that students receiving free and reduced meals are not subsidizing students who pay full price. She told board directors that they could put off the increase for a year, but next year the increase would be higher.
Board Chair Bill Hoeft responded; “If we chose not to be in compliance, eventually we have to be. And then families would see a 40 or 50 cent (increase). I don’t intend to minimize 10 cents, because it matters over the course of the school year. But, taking a bigger hit isn’t what our families need.”
The board also approved the 2016-17 budget and the revised 2015-16 budget. Business Manager Randi Jurgansen told board directors that the state ranks districts by how many days they could operate with existing reserves.
“Greenway does have a strong fund balance right now, but we do continue to fall as we have throughout the years as we are deficit spending.” Jurgansen said the state recommends 12 percent, but Greenway aims for 20 percent.
The board accepted a $19,737 grant for fresh fruit and vegetables from the Minnesota Department of Education, approved a contract with the Arrowhead Regional Computing Consortium, and a 2018 trip to Costa Rica for students who have completed third year Spanish by that time. The trip will be entirely student funded.
Employment changes approved by the board include:
• Approved the resignation of Elizabeth Young, teacher, effective end of the 2015/16 school year.
• Approved the resignation of Jo Norby Davis, teacher, effective at the end of the 2015/16 school year.
• Approve resignation of Jodi Warner, science teacher, GHS effective at the end of the 2015/16 school year.
• Hired Roderick Mackay, social studies teacher, GHS, MA 8, $60,012.00
• Hired Aime Floersheim, elementary ed teacher, GHS, BA 30, $41,218.00
• Hired Zackary Schaunaman, math teacher, GHS, BA 1, $37,260.00
• Hired Alex McDonald, social studies teacher, GHS, BA 2, $39,381.00