The city of LaPrairie passed an ordinance Monday that sets the fee schedules for various licenses, permits and inspections.
The council noted that the fee schedule is largely put in place to recoup the city’s expenditures, which include city staff time and supplies.
Although the city has advertised its fee schedule in its newsletter since the 1990s, there still was some concern that local residents were unaware of the fees.
“A lot of people don’t know these fees exist,” said Councilor Lynn O’Brien, asking that it be advertised in the city’s newsletter.
The city also plans to make the fee schedule available through the city’s website. A summary of the ordinance will be published in this newspaper.
Among the other fees set were:
• Two-year licenses for cats and dogs were set at $10 for unspayed females and $6 for spayed females and males.
• A two-year license for chickens will cost local residents $20.
• A number of building project licenses including accessory building, additions/remodels, detached garages and signs will have valuation based fees. The fees range from $23.50 for projects up to $500 to more than $5,000 for projects in excess of $1 million.
• Smaller building project fees such as fencing, furnace, A/C, water heaters, windows, reshingle or reside projects have fees ranging from $55 to $105.
• Commercial residing or reshingle jobs would require a $325 permit fee.
• Sanitary sewer fees were set as follows - sanitary sewer connection/inspections, $500; base sewer fee (non-metered), $22.50; service on base rate, $5/month; unit rate per 1,000 gallons, $5.
• Water service fees were set as follows - water connection/inspection, $500; if more than two inspections required, $35/per inspection; water disconnect, $30; water reconnection, $30; water equipment, cost. The water service charge unit per 1,000 gallons charge was set at $5.40. Monthly base rates are determined by meter size.
• The ordinance also set fees for business licenses, data research/copying, deferred assessments, entertainment fees, liquor license fees, maintenance clean-up fees, meeting room rental and non-sufficient funds.
In other business, the council:
• Approved the minutes of the Oct. 21 regular council meeting and a solid waste public hearing.
• Approved a change order for the LaPrairie Water Main project in the amount of $24,071.50. The new total contract amount is $523,941.50. The change order was necessary due to extra work incurred while crossing pipelines. Later, the council approved a pay estimate to the project contractor, Casper Construction, in the amount of $434,383.61.
• Discussed updating the city’s comprehensive plan. Grant money through a number of organizations could potentially fund the project. The council passed a motion authorizing SEH to draft a request for proposals to be sent out to potential contractors.