SRNF staff report
At last week’s Coleraine City Council meeting, Mayor Jim Hagen gave an update on the police merger. The official name for the new joint police force is the Bovey-Coleraine Police Department. The Police Merger Committee is getting close to the final drafting of a contract for the future Bovey-Coleraine PD.
At this point, one source of contention is the fact that the Coleraine Police Chief and the Coleraine patrol officers have separate contracts while in the city of Bovey, the chief and patrolmen share the same contract. The committee needs to help forge a universal contract that satisfies the needs of all parties.
The council tabled the vote on a road maintenance agreement with Itasca County. The approximately nine miles of road in question is at Centennial Lakes. Itasca County wants $2,100 per mile for dust control and $700 per mile for snow removal and road grading would cost $700 for each mile at a rate of one per month.
Council members took a short recess at 4:59 p.m. and reconvened at just after 5 p.m. to hold a public hearing on the Powell Avenue utility assessments. Coleraine City Engineer Bob Beaver gave a detailed presentation about the project, which includes city water and sanitary sewer upgrades on the 200 block of Powell Avenue between Cole Street and Roosevelt Street.
The city would pay 60 percent of the project and residents would be assessed for the remaining 40 percent for each feed into the water or sewer mains. Five residents would receive the water main connection for $2,145.79 each and nine residents would receive the sanitary sewer hookup for $669.49. The engineer said there will be no street assessments. Beaver put it into prospective by saying it would be $17,000 assessed on a $200,000 project. No discussion was heard from residents and the public hearing was closed. Council members voted unanimously to adopt the assessment.
In other business, the council:
• Voted to approve the consent agenda.
• Approved the meeting agenda with one addition to the list.
• Passed a fire board resolution.
• Tabled a decision to update the city web site.