The city of Taconite may soon be flushing less down the toilet.
At Monday’s meeting of the city council, officials opted to move forward with offering a $25 annual rebate to residents that purchase and install high efficiency or double flush toilets – both of which conserve on water consumption.
The initiative was brought before the council by Clerk Mike Troumbly. He noted that not only would high efficiency toilets use less water but also would mean the city would be sending less water for sanitary treatment.
Residents who purchase new toilets would get the rebate after providing the city with proof of purchase.
In other business the council:
• Approved the minutes of the Feb. 8 council meeting.
• Approved five rentals of the community center for various events.
• Authorized parcel 97-440-0520 for tax-forfeited sale.
• Approved a $100 donation to Greenway Close Up for a trip to Washington D.C.
• Approved a $250 donation to First Call for Help.
• Established that the city does not waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability.
• Approved the annual agreement with Northland Portable for portable restroom rental for the ball field, Reilly Beach and Gibbs Park as well as for special events - the annual picnic, summer bash and Laura Nielsen Annual Wheeler Ride.
• Approved the purchase of a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 truck for the street department in the amount of $27,927 from Lake Woods Chrysler.