At last week’s meeting of the Taconite City Council, City Engineer Jeremy Schwartz informed officials that a private firm will need to be hired for soil testing for the Highway 169 casing project. The cost is estimated to be about $4,000.
The street commission informed the council of bids received for a new snowplow. The council accepted the low bid - a VSF 95 Snowdog plow from Dan Martin for installed price of $6,064 with front and rear Timbrens installed for $540.
Councilors also reviewed the city’s spring newsletter. Copies of the newsletter will be printed elsewhere to save wear and tear on the city office equipment. Newsletters were to be mailed out last week. City Clerk Mike Troumbly noted that each newsletter costs about $400 to $500 to mail out.
In other business, the council:
• Approved the minutes of the March 14 council meeting.
• Renewed the lease agreement with IASC/Invest Early Project.
• Renewed the lease agreement with KOOTASCA.
• Renewed the application for worker’s compensation coverage.
• Renewed the Whitty Bennet Post liquor license.
• Approved a short-term liquor license for the fire department for June 25, 26.
• Renewed the Lawrence Lake liquor license.
• Authorized a Greenway Day of Caring advertisement sponsorship in the amount of $100.
• Noted that city clean up week will begin on May 9.
• Approved the treasurer’s financial report with a month ending March 2016 balance of $128,819.24.
• Approved claims in the amount of $47,026.92 .
• Reviewed a complaint of a shoreland ordinance violation on North Twin Lakes. The zoning board will meet April 18, 2016 and will discuss turning over the shoreland management to Itasca County.
• Noted that summer hours for the city clerk will remain the same except Thursdays and Fridays when the city office will be open from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
• Noted that the Consumer Confidence Report for the water system for the city is available to any resident.