The city council of Taconite voted to close Hodgins Avenue one day next month to accommodate a boot hockey tournament, which aims to raise awareness about the tragedy of suicide.
The city will play host to the Second Annual Jayden Gangl Boot Hockey Tournament on March 12. The event began in 2014 as a pick-up game of boot hockey and grew to a tournament in March of 2015.
Described by organizers as a new tradition, last year’s event featured not only hockey, but also raffles, t-shirt and sweatshirt sales and food. In addition to closing the street, the council agreed to provide two portable toilets for the event.
In other business, the council:
• Approved the minutes of the Jan. 11 council meeting.
• Tabled a request for lower water-sewer payments during non-use periods because the resident requesting the rate change was not present at the meeting.
• Set the schedule for 2016 council meetings as the second Tuesday of the month at 4:30 p.m. Exceptions are the months of October and November, when the meeting will take place on the first Monday of the month.
• Discussed the amount the city should levy for the ski hill. The council left the matter to the discretion of Cotton Guyer, a representative on the Recreation Board.
• Noted that the city should be receiving a grant of $26,000 for the fire department soon.
• Authorized the city street supervisor to obtain bids on the cost of a new three-quarter ton plow truck.
• Discussed a recent water system test, which revealed high coliform content. The situation has been rectified and new tests showed that rates have returned to normal parameters.
• Accepted the treasurer’s report with a Jan. 2016 ending balance of $139,068.50.
• Approved current claims totaling $26,758.73.
• Authorized a $100 donation to the Greenway Music Program.